Exposing the Safelink Wireless government cell phone for the poor scam

by editor on March 11, 2009

Today we ran the story of Michelle Obama serving risotto at the soup kitchen down the street from the White House. She was surrounded by poor people frantically snapping photos with their cell phones.

If you’re anything like us (and we understand completely if you don’t want to be) you wondered, how can the poor afford cell phones, fancy ones with cameras? The monthly bills on these things can eat you alive. Is there some sort of free government cell phone service we didn’t know about?

Safelink Wireless Free Government Cell Phones

We were tipped off to the Safelink Wireless website. But please be warned that if you visit this site you are likely to walk away pissed off. Here’s what it says:

“SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program
that provides a free cell phone and airtime each
 month for income-eligible customers.”

free government cell phone from safelink wireless

Hello? Hello? Can anyone hear us complaining about this outrageous abuse?

“Lifeline Assistance is part of a program that was created by the government to provide discounted or free telephone service to income-eligible consumers. To help bring you this important benefit, SafeLink Wireless is proud to offer Lifeline Service. Through our Lifeline Service you will receive FREE cellular service, a FREE cell phone, and FREE Minutes every month! SafeLink Wireless Service does not cost anything – there are no contracts, no recurring fees and no monthly charges.”

“Any Minutes you do not use will roll-over. Features such as caller ID, call waiting and voicemail are all also included with your service. If you need additional Minutes, you can buy TracFone Airtime Cards at any TracFone retailer Walmart, Walgreens, Family Dollar, etc). SafeLink Airtime Cards will be available soon.”

“Your exact benefits, including the number of free Minutes you will receive, depend on the state you live in.”

Free cell phone from Safelink Wireless: how to qualify

“The process to qualify for Lifeline Service depends on the State you live in. In general, you may qualify if…

1. You already participate in other State or Federal assistance program such as Federal Public Housing Assistance, Food Stamps and Medicaid. OR
  2. Your total household income is at or below 135% of the poverty guidelines set by your State and/or the Federal Government. AND
  3. No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Service through another phone carrier.
  4. You have a valid United States Postal Address. In order for us to ship you your free phone you must live at a residence that can receive mail from the US Post Office. Sorry, but P.O. Boxes cannot be accepted.

In addition to meeting the guidelines above you will also be required to provide proof of your participation in an assistance program, or proof of your income level.

Un-freakin-believable. Outrageous. Shocking.

The way we read it, this Safelink Wireless program gives you a free cell phone, free monthly service, and free minutes. You qualify even if you make 35% more than the designated “poverty” level or if you’re already getting additional freebies from the government. And we see nothing that indicates you have to be a legal resident of the United States to qualify.

The site is also available in Spanish, leading to the not-too-unreasonable conclusion that a significant percentage of the free cell phones applicants conceivably could be, may be, might be undocumented aliens.

And, for God’s sake, we don’t even want to know how many of those filling out a Safelink application are currently stiffing a bank on a mortgage they never really qualified for in the first place.

We think we’re going to have a stroke. Would someone please call 911 on their free cell phone?

Note: Now Assurance Wireless (Virgin) and ReachOut Wireless (Nexus) are in the game. They plus other minor players account for 8 million government phones in circulation.

4981 Comments on "Exposing the Safelink Wireless government cell phone for the poor scam"

Notify of

DAWN
DAWN
August 15, 2009 7:57 pm

I THINK THE PROGRAM IS GREAT I GET MY MINUTES ON TIME EVERY 1ST OF THE MONTH FOR ER’S AND IM SATISFIED…..AND TO MICHELLE OBAMA YOU GO GIRL I ROUTING FOR YOU AND MR OBAMA :) WE ALWAYS HAVE THE CITIZENS WITH MONEY KNOCK PROGRAMS LIKE THIS BUT I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE MORE PROGRAMS LIKE IT FOR THE LESS FORTUNATE….THANKS VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU WHO FEEL DIFFERENT B/C IT REALLY DOESNT MATTER

Lee
Lee
August 11, 2009 10:48 am

And now good bye boys and girls I have a life can’t sit here all day whinning like all you all so Peace Out!!!!

Lee
Lee
August 11, 2009 10:46 am

Pot calling the kettle black? hardly your over rated opinion spurred mine on!

August 11, 2009 10:45 am

Admin – IP’s logged?

Lee
Lee
August 11, 2009 10:44 am

nope your wrong don’t know Kyle new to this forum sorry!

Lee
Lee
August 11, 2009 10:29 am

Your way of thinking on this subject is slanted!
seriously, think for a moment if you would about this…
You bust your hump for 15 yrs with a company and do to
the economy your job is phased out. You find yourself
strapped for money that unemployment isn’t covering
everything you pay check did. Shut off notices come in
the banks on you to repay your loan your car payment
is 3 months behind your child needs glasses and to see a
dentist. Your mortgage company is threatening foreclosure
You have nothing left your strapped because your unemployment
just ran out! You can’t even buy a loaf of bread! Your about
to kill yourself because you can’t support your family
anymore, the kids are hungry. Your neighbor says go
get help get welfare until you find a new job. You shallow
your pride after all the kids need food, a roof, clothes
heat lights. So you apply.
You get a grant stamps medical and a cell phone.
the grant pays for a cheaper place to live the heat the
lights the food stamps fill hungry little tummies, the
medical takes care of the dental visit your child needs
the cell phone keeps you out there actively looking for work
even when the land line phone has been shut off for none
payment.

People use your heads in everything there’s a good and bad side
it’s how you look at it that matters, And I for one personally like
knowing theirs some system out there to help me if I need it despite
over rated and over opinionated jerks like you guys!

August 11, 2009 3:25 pm

Lee—-If someone needs to go on government support cause they can’t make their car payment, then they need to sell the car and buy something cheaper before they go begging for handouts. Ditto on a mortgage. Both of these things are DEBT. Signing on the dotted line for a loan of any kind is a gamble….it’s a gamble that one will have the future earnings to pay the debt off. If someone loses the job that pays those debts, looks like they lost the gamble doesn’t it? Why should that be someone else’s problem?

The solution is easy. Don’t go into hock for more than one can cover working part time or while getting unemployment. Even better is to not go into debt at all.

I really despise the “it’s for the children” tactic. Its a typical tactic to attack anti-entitlement folks by implying that they are against children. Let’s have some personal responsibility here. The mom & dad in your example weren’t thinking “its for the children” when they signed for a shiny new car were they? Did they think of the children when they gambled on signing for a big fat mortgage, which clearly states that the bank gets the house if they don’t pay? Give me a break.

People need to start living within thier means. Gambling the roof over their kids head because they want more house than they can afford is where the real problem is. It isn’t with people who don’t want to bail their asses out.

kyle c
kyle c
August 11, 2009 10:42 am

u sir are a very very smart man….i have been getting these comments in my email…and u sir were the only one worth responding back to

August 11, 2009 10:43 am

Kyle = Lee… Whoda thunk.

kyle c
kyle c
August 11, 2009 10:48 am

this is the kyle u were talking about i got banned awhile back…was reading comments that came to my email and decided to come back to congratulate that guy on the best comment yet on this blog!

August 11, 2009 10:39 am

“And I for one personally like knowing theirs [SIC] some system out there to help me if I need it despite over rated [SIC] and over opinionated jerks like you guys!”

This is what we affectionately know as the pot calling the kettle black.
BTW, welcome back Kyle.

David
David
August 11, 2009 9:00 am

Are you guys joking? It’s a free cell phone. You need to apply for it if you have a low income or other things. You’ll need a computer to apply along with medicaid or health forms. It’s meant for the cell phone to help people who can’t afford one. If you’re homeless and have a cell phone, then you really wouldn’t be homeless would you? Blame them. Not the program. Do something better with your lives. If you want to blame “stealing” go blame people on welfare too lazy to work for themselves.

August 9, 2009 3:43 pm

My mail box sure has been quiet, whats up. Everyone finally come to terms with the inevitable?

August 4, 2009 4:56 pm

I found that Idioacry movie and am watching it now, just paused it for a moment to come talk about it. Everyone should be required to watch that movie! Especially Kyle, he might find some common ground and all. LOL It’s scary but true at what the movie is trying to comically describe as the downfall of man kind. Someone here said, “Its already starting” and they are right.

Think about it, 50 years ago the United States public school system had higher scores and the U.S. didn’t rank 22 on the sustainable economies of the world list. Here it is 50+ years later and anyone can see that well basically everyone’s getting dumber. I blame poor parenting and technology (or lack of control in its usage rather).

Kids now would rather spend hours on end playing the newest “Blast em’ to Bits” video game rather than trying to learn something useful. When they reach teens’ that is replaced with “Duh, think I gonna go pregnate me some hole”. At adulthood they spend the rest of their lives with mundane jobs that they find unbearable so they quit and live off the government, because that takes no action or brain power on their part to accomplish. Just like the silly movie points out, the dumbest of the lot get to reproduce while people that know better, the smarter ones, hold off or sometimes never have any children at all. So yes there is a continuing degradation of the genetic make up of the human race.

As the technology improves and computers begin to automate even the most complex of task, the human mind and drive will diminish to the point where we will probably need a computer chip to remind us to breath. More than likely I will have died by then.

So to all you free loaders out there, eat it up! Lets destroy humanity together!

LMAO…back to the movie now.

August 4, 2009 5:00 pm

Glad you found it, was a great flick.

Lester
August 3, 2009 11:24 pm

We probably paid for Kyle’s computer, too. I know we paid for him to get an education, regardless of whether or not he took advantage of it.

August 3, 2009 3:27 pm

Whoa, what happened here today? LOL. Sounds like Kyle went off the meds. But, like I said in an earlier post. People on welfare think it is a badge of honor. If they get a cell phone too, there is no end to what they can do! HA! Oh yeah wanted ask, what could he possibly been doing to earn that kind of money? If he did where is it?

kim
kim
August 3, 2009 8:34 pm

I get assistance but I am not claiming to be proud. I hate taking it as much as you all hate paying for it, but I do need it. There are no jobs out there for my husband who was laid off from a supervising job from a textile plant. Even McDonald’s won’t hire him. I work all I can and it is not enough. I have an Associates Degree and I work a minimum wage job because there are no job openings in my profession. These are very bad times and some of us truly do need assistance. My I do deserve respect as a human being whether I do get help or not…I am not a low life leach and will never classify myself as one…as soon as we are on our feet I don’t need assistance. When it happens to you then I want to hear you all complain. It will be very quiet on this website that is a sure thing. I didn’t vote for Obama…I can’t stand him…I think he is the anti-christ…but he didn’t create government assistance. I would be happy to use a pay phone if the phone company would service them so they work. Oh and by the way, if I didn’t have the cellphone right now because of our financial status I can not afford one, the time it would take me to get to a pay phone my autistic/bipolar 9 year old might have already committed suicide or killed one of his younger sisters during a crisis. So thank you for all the cruel, inhumane comments that have come my way. I had no idea how hateful some people really are. This has been a real eye opener on what being an American in the United States is really about. The government is messed up, true. But are we really that hateful of people nowadays.

August 3, 2009 11:55 pm

Everybody has a story as to why *they* are special victims and deserve a piece of what the government takes from others. This is why this socialism will probably never end in this country.

I hope it goes bankrupt soon. Then we will see who the real survivors are.

Southern Girl
Southern Girl
November 2, 2009 3:03 pm

How cruel, your hatred for a certain group of people, makes you want an entire nation fail. Wow that’s sin at its core. You are disgusting. I’ll pray for you that you can find inner peace and have a better heart. Thank goodness I am not like you.

August 4, 2009 6:56 am

Me to kaj, me to

August 3, 2009 1:13 pm

obama was and is the best thing that has ever happen to this country in a long time

August 3, 2009 1:22 pm

Kyle, you need to be hosed down with a strong dose of ANTI-TROLL SPRAY.

Folks, ignore the obvious attempt to stir the pot. Admin, please take this as a vote to ban. An opinion is one thing – writing things to push buttons is entirely different. This is my last post with regard to ‘kyle’

August 3, 2009 1:25 pm

I second the motion.

August 3, 2009 1:22 pm

Let’s see how you feel about him once he’s fully done his damage. Answer this Kyle, what happens when more than 70% of the American population is unemployed and living off government assistance? Do you really think that the country can function when there is more people on social welfare then there are paying into it? Oh and as for the “taxes” you paid in. That money was used up years ago, wake up dude. Socialism will fail and that’s what your preaching that you support and are proud of.

In other words your proud of a President that is in his own way attacking the American people in a way that conventional guns/firepower can not affect. See it is a waste of time to try and tell someone like you anything. Your happy and living your life now for what it is, but you never stop to think of the impact that the actions taken today will effect you and future generation to come.

I’m done with you, now go rattle of some ignorant statement about how proud you are of your stupidity.

Administrator
August 3, 2009 12:46 pm

To all watching Kyle disintegrate, it happens over and over with the left on sites like this. Their words begin to fail them, their lack of logic shows, and then they get confused and frustrated, pull out their swear words, eventually get banned, and then cry free speech.

August 3, 2009 1:07 pm

listen moron im not a right left Republican etc etc…i could careless about all that shit…..im a foodstamp recipient and wireless cell fone reciever hopefully ill get free rent too i deserve it…..oh and about u blocking me it wont happen

Administrator
August 3, 2009 1:39 pm

oh and about u blocking me it wont happen

Thanks for the incentive.

But of course you’ll figure out how to get on back now and then, it’s really not that difficult. But I guess for you it will be a real accomplishment So, congrats in advance. What else do you have to do with your time, anyway?

August 3, 2009 1:10 pm

Hey Kyle, is the shift key broken on your keyboard or is it just that the higher brain functions are gone? You may not realize it or don’t care but at least trying to put your words together properly will help you not come off as a total idiot.

Did you just drop out of school at 12 or something?

August 3, 2009 12:19 pm

[begin sarcasm]100% class act, Kyle. You make ME proud to support you.[end sarcasm]

Does anyone else here notice a pattern?

August 3, 2009 12:33 pm

im sure i paid more in taxes than u…i used to make 125 thousand dollars a year….ur mcdonalds job doesnt count…so shut the fuk up man go cry to ur boyfriend i dont wanna hear it

August 3, 2009 4:09 pm

Usually people who use “I paid more taxes than you” as an excuse to justify taking other people’s money are full of BS. Think about it Kyle. What you seem to be saying is:

–Once upon a time I was richer & better than you.
–Now that I have lost it all, I am entitled to steal from people who have less money than I did.

I think you’re full of BS. People with present or past six figure incomes usually present themselves *much* better.

Administrator
August 3, 2009 9:29 am

Dear Kyle:

You may want to check if there is a taxpayer funded program to improve your spelling and grammar. I’m certain there is, but you may have to pretend to be hispanic to get in.

BTW, “proud” to be using foodstamps and phone? May I ask where the pride comes from? Maybe thankful, but proud?

i call idiot i do got the phone i do get foodstamps and im proud and happy to be using them…see in this country when someoen fallss and needs help getting back up we help them if u dont like that mentality go ecudour mexico and hundreds of other countries that have no social systems and were one financial mistake could mean u and ur family starve to death it happens everyday assholes! you people that cry likes this will cry till ur put in this situation than u will look for help from anyone u can

August 3, 2009 9:42 am

ok spelling nazi im not trying to write all proper if i was i could but i dont care right now so get over it. Now for the rest of what uu said iam proud to get the fone and foodstamps i earned them i have payed taxes all my life…why did i do this couse that was my duty as a us citezien now wen i need help im getting it and im proud of the fact that i live in a country that is possible and ike i said before if u dont like this system go to one of the hundreds of countrys that have no social systems and were its possible u will die of starvation if u become in financial need of help. i can c were people would get mad over people that live on welfare like most black women do BTW ….but still its better than the alternative having the poor and unmotivated or just people with mental problems wandering around the street dieing of starvation …..our system needs work but granted the usa is the best country on this planet

August 3, 2009 10:25 am

“iam proud to get the fone and foodstamps i earned them i have payed taxes all my life…”

No, that would be retirement. Food stamps (it is two words) and phone (not fone) are government handouts, intended for those too poor to survive.

“i can c were people would get mad over people that live on welfare like most black women do BTW ….but still its better than the alternative having the poor and unmotivated or just people with mental problems wandering around the street dieing of starvation ….”

For the record, I never said “Black” woman in my New Orleans comment.

Your logic has a serious flaw (big surprise). You assume that if our government doesn’t take care of these people, they’ll die of starvation. If all the bleeding-heart wackos funded charities with their OWN money like they do with ways to spend MY money, you and the rest of the ‘proud’ recipients would be eating like kings.

August 3, 2009 11:42 am

im proud to get foodstamps and the fone…i earned it…ok spelling nazi…..if we didnt have social programs like foodstamps and the fone and welfare etc etc our country would be f*cked just like the countries on this planet that dont have these programs… i will bet my life on it that the people that dont like these programs as soon as u need them u will be right there with your hands out and if they didnt excist u would be the first ones to complain…im thinking about asking for more foodstamps tommorow i hope i get them!!!!!!!!!!!!….maybe more minutes for my fone too…yippppeee

Administrator
August 3, 2009 12:17 pm

Come on Kyle, you can’t spell, but you can spell cuss words fine. I had to moderate your cussing. Please don’t do it again. It just get’s put in the moderation queue anyway.

August 3, 2009 12:35 pm

shutup loser….oh btw this blog needs some work..seriously it looks like u designed it back in 1986

August 3, 2009 3:51 pm

It is always a good indication of intellect when a poster insults the admins/moderators. It’s the online version of “death-by-cop”.

August 3, 2009 1:05 pm

See folks, this is what happens when you sleep through English class. Point of fact for you Mr. Kyle (aka dumbass) Most internet browsers have a spell check option. Try using it sometimes.

If your poor inclination for spelling and proper syntax is any indication as to your work ethic its no wonder your using food stamps and wasting cell tower bandwidth with your worthless calls that are probably so ate up with slang that even linguistics experts can’t decode it. No one in there right mind would hire you. As for your “business” drug dealing doesn’t count.

Live it up dumb ass, be part of the problem, not the solution. It’s the American way because we all know ignorance is bliss.

August 2, 2009 10:03 pm

You know it’s amazing at how people like the “fat black chick on CNN” forget about ALL that other “help” they got, for most if not, all of the time they have been alive. It’s a sad day when you know human beings are brought up to think leaching off of government assistance is “a good thing and something to be proud of”. Not to mention the shear numbers of these leaches that take and enjoy burning up tax dollars, but all the while working. Such as non taxed work, money from family, drug sales, etc. None of that is reported, but that’s how thieves and con artists work.

I’d love to see the look on these worthless individuals faces if the Federal government said, “Hey America, were out of cash for social programs, your going to have to just make it on your own now”. It would be mass chaos, and looting’s aplenty. God I wish I could afford a gun! (not for killing people but for protection when the proverbial shit hits the fan.)

August 3, 2009 1:15 am

A 22 rifle isn’t that expensive. And ammo is cheap enough for it you can spend a decent amount of time learning to use it properly. It’s a good basic gun for a beginner.

But who needs guns, we can just use our free cell to call 911, right?

kim
kim
August 3, 2009 6:12 am

Over all the complaining of money taken from tax payers and government spending, I bet 90% of the people here look for every tax credit they can get at income tax time and get a refund of more money than they really paid in to begin with. Is that not taking from the government of what is not yours. 95% of the people have screwed someone at some point in their lives or made some mistakes. In the end complaining is not going to help and we all end this life the same way we came into it…with nothing. It’s only money. Money that doesn’t care if your alive or dead. Money is the root of all evil. Look how cruel you people have become to others less fortunate over money. Yes some people do take advantage and some really need help. Those that do take advantage, is the reason God has them here, to learn a lesson. They are less fortunate in knowledge but not as a human. Knowledge from these lovely public schools is not going to get people off of public assistance. Fix the poor education and you can fix a whole lot more along the way. Knowledge and strong will is the only thing God wants us to have. Freedom of choice to make mistakes and learn from them.

August 3, 2009 3:31 pm

Maybe God can give you some of his money?

August 3, 2009 8:51 am

I’m sure your comment is just to work us into a lather – so I’ll keep my response short.

If you feel it’s only money, and money is the root of all evil, please, do us all a favor, and fund this program with YOUR money.

I don’t know who posted this earlier, but the point is profound:

The people who come up with these grand compassionate ideas are quick to volunteer taxpayer money. Instead, if they’re so passionate about the issue, have them donate their own money – and work at raising funds from like-minded individuals. The problem, of course, is the compassion is only apparent when they don’t have to pay for it.

BTW, watch Idiocracy before going on about religion.

August 3, 2009 3:49 am

when will it end? next we should provide them with a free car and gas vouchers so they can get to and from their untaxed jobs. two people work at a local bar (under the table). One is a barmaid, her boyfriend a “DJ”. He also sells pasties that he makes at their section 8 house. They complain about their $675.00 a month rent because the higher the rent the higher their out of pocket expense. They have to cough up $150.00 a month. I guess we pay the rest. He advertises when he is selling pasties on his myspace page. They have three kids, only one is his and the other two are by 2 dif fathers, because only one is white. I don’t know if it’s the area I live in or what but this lifestyle is more normal than a working family with one or two kids from the same mom and dad. They applied for the cell phone last I heard, shouldn’t have a hard time getting one.

I just read where the government might have to raise middle-class taxes to help lower the deficit. It’s outrageous to raise our taxes while giving away more of them to low-lifes. How much more do we have to take?

August 3, 2009 3:47 pm

Turn them in. Some states have anonymous tip lines to report fraud.

August 2, 2009 8:46 am

i have the phone its very helpful

Eric
Eric
September 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Loser. You obviously have a computer too. Did I pay for that also?

Administrator
August 2, 2009 9:01 am

Can you at least say thank you to us taxpayers for your free Safelink Wireless phone? We paid for it, along with your other benefits.

Ken
Ken
August 31, 2009 6:55 pm

Say thanks to WHOM Mr. Administrator? Thanks to all of YOU who paid for my phone? What about the money that I paid into the system for 40 some years? I paid for my phone many times over. TV Commercials (if one s to believe them) say that the Social Security we pay is like insurance. Well, I’m collecting mine … after losing my job, my house amd my wife. Just curious, are people like you and FED UP (whom I still think should change to SHUT UP) going to retire eventually and collect Social Security? If you were disabled, would you try to collect? I suppose you never buy anything on sale and always pay full price, too.

If anyone truly qualifies for the phone, I wish you well with it. If it was my tax dollars that helped provide it, you’re welcome.

Ya know, I just got approved for disablity and should be getting my checks soon. I am taking my first few checksand giving back with it in these tough times. I have reserved a hall, got involved with a caterer, and will be hosting a Breakfast with Santa in early December. The charge of “admission” to this event will be a toy which I will give to nedy and deserving kids this christmas through several churhes. I am donating the cost of the hall and feeding these people on my own. I will be the Big Elf, Himself…. Santa. And if I could I would probaly put coal in the stockings of all y’all who are against this cell phone plan. Merry Christmas!!!!

August 2, 2009 11:53 pm

correction i paid for that phone of mine twenty thousand times over i have paid taxes all my life i owned a successful company at one time i have worked and lived the wage slave lifestyle too i recently ran into trouble (made some investments that went bad)and yes iam proud and very happy to get some of the tens of thousands of dollars that i have paid out in taxes i love the fone i use it to call my friends all day long i also get food stamps and i think they r wonderful!….i eat the best food.iam proud to use the fone and foodtsamps i earned it twenty MILLION TIMES OVER

August 3, 2009 1:11 am

I call troll.

August 3, 2009 9:24 am

August 2, 2009 10:10 am

But why? It’s called an entitlement for a reason. I can still remember that big fat chick in New Orleans screaming at the CNN cameras “Where’s my FEMA CHECK? FEMA AIN’T DONE NOTHIN FO ME!”

August 2, 2009 12:08 pm

LMAO!

August 2, 2009 1:02 pm

get it right it’s “ain’t done nuttin’ fo me” also LMAO

July 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Kim I don’t know your situation. But I never thought my life was stable enough to have children, I was not old enough or I wasn’t done having a good time, didn’t have the right guy or what ever.The main reason was that I thought of the expense and sacrifice to my career and I wasn’t able to give that up, hence no kids. I don’t regret it, it was an excellent choice for me. My point is I didn’t expect anyone else to step up and support me, my kids or my habits. I love working but I do get very angry. I spent a lifetime building for my future and the government can just come along and take what they want, when they want. Again, I say the phone is just adding insult to injury. Enough is too much already! I agree when you say there are worse things to worry about like foodstamps, section 8 etc…

kim
kim
August 3, 2009 8:02 pm

I am not asking anyone to step in and take care of my family. We would of never had children if we weren’t in a position to afford them. No one can predict losing a job that was held for many many years. Let alone that no one is hiring. Sure they advertise now hiring, but go and apply and you are either over qualified or they are afraid your going to leave eventually for a better paying job, so they don’t hire you. Children have a hard enough time not understanding they can’t have the things they use to be able to have…why have trouble feeding them too through no fault of our own. I work and my husband takes care of them until he finds a job again. I don’t make enough to support all of us.

kim
kim
July 23, 2009 6:39 am

I think it’s great people are so negative and hateful there are worst things to worry about than a phone

July 23, 2009 6:46 am

It’s the principal of it, Kim. It is government taking from one group to give to another. While I do despise laziness, my problem is with the people who come up with these ideas (and then don’t pay for them), and the politicians who enable this.

Again, a government who robs Peter (me) to pay Paul (the poor), can always depend on the support (votes) of Paul.

The more poor and needy there are, the more support the government gets. It’s a vicious cycle, where those who ultimately pay for everything have absolutely no voice.

I’m sure you’ve seen this circulate as an email, but it very nicely sums up the problem with these social charity programs:

“An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before but had once failed an entire class.

That class had insisted that Obama’s socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.

The professor then said, “OK, we will have an experiment in this class on Obama’s plan”. All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A.

After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B.

The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy.

As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.

The second test average was a D! No one was happy.

When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.

The scores never increased as bickering, blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.

All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.”

July 28, 2009 10:05 pm

That one was so good I had to copy that message and forward it to my friends. Nice one!

Valerie
Valerie
July 22, 2009 11:06 am

I had a track phone given to me by a granddaughter, to use in emergency’s, it was listed in another county, through wall mart. I am diabetic. I broke down in my truck, called 911, on my track phone, to be denied help and hung up on. by the 911 person. because it routed the 911 call to the are the cell was bought in. Im on disability, I cant afford a cell phone as much as id like one!..and need one, i live in the northern country of Mi. where most roads have very little traffic. If I had not broke down a half mile from a gas station i would have died, before help came along. as it was i had to walk to that station, which sent me into major low blood sugar. a very close call for my life and coma…Ive tried to get this free phone only to be denied and ignored due to the fact i live 1 block from a post office and can only have a post box. im denied a mail box. by the US post office. and the free phone will not come to a post box. so all of u who think this FREE PHONE is ripping u off……I also have a land line and pay for the same money line all of u do!

July 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Sue the 911 dispatch, if you believe they were negligent.

You can opt to have a cell phone INSTEAD of a landline phone, you know. This is what I did, because I couldn’t afford both. Sure I can’t gab on the phone for hours every day, but I at least have a phone for important things.

July 21, 2009 7:11 pm

“A government which robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul.”
– George Bernard Shaw.

July 21, 2009 3:43 am

I think alot of people use the dogs reputation to make up for their inferiority. Problem is that the ones who get hurt are the poor dogs because they are abused and innocent people and animals who get mauled by them.

Recently the city where I live opened a beautiful river front park, already they are talking about banning dogs. The reason is because a small dog on a leash was killed by two free roaming pits. another pit was shot by police because it was chasing people.

I know I got off the subject a little but now to ban all dogs??? the little dog who was killed would no longer be allowed at the park had he lived. I don’t think the pit bulls were owned by one of our upstanding citizens. There is a big debate about how you can not ban a specific breed. I don’t have a number but the city police encounter the same problem all over the city and these dogs are being shot and killed all the time. Wilkes-Barre Pa. is the city by the way.

July 21, 2009 9:05 am

Well actually the ones to get hurt are the small children the dogs go after if they break free of there restraints. Which are usually attached to some old bombed out car sitting in the back yard or a raggedy dog house with “e-z break” wood siding sitting in the middle of a worn patch of ground out in the blazing hot mid day sun. Sometimes its just a piece of clothes line tied to a metal corkscrew in the ground. To top it all off, the poor dogs look about half starved and have been treated so “ghetto” they have developed anger management issues. All that on top of the beating the joke of an owner gives them to make them meaner(for illegal fighting purposes). Maybe I don’t “get it” when it comes to that type of dog. It sure seems to me like that is against the law. The owner knows the dog can get loose and it will attack out of fear and hunger anything in its line of sight. All while the owner sits in his/her house (paid for by the tax money) and sells drugs or uses them. Just talking away on their Safelink wireless phone, eating shrimp and potatoes they bought with there easy to use food stamp debit card from their local wal-mart. Go Go G money! And if that’s not enough to grind your gears, just think like they do for a second. “Oh come on girl, you can get it on with me, I won’t get you to pregnant, just think you’ll get an extra check if you let me slam one up in ya.” With that kind of thinking I’m not surprised America is in the shape its in today.

July 21, 2009 11:58 am

LOL Britton! In fairness, the only irresponsible pit bull owners I have seen were extreme cases on TV shows. I’ve met a couple responsible owners in real life, who trained their dogs well and took really good care of them. These were people that fully understood the extra work involved in raising and training these dogs, from what I can tell.

Unfortunately, the responsible will have to pay for the irresponsible once again. My city is considering a very strict ordinance for pits, involving fencelines with a cement base, liability insurance, muzzles anytime the animal is outside of the house, and so on. I am sure that there will be repsonsible owners who cannot afford an eight foot fence with a 3 foot concrete base & a million dollar liability policy…..they will have to move or get rid of their dog. That’s truly a shame.

What’s goofy is the responsible peeps will follow the law. We will still have scum who don’t care, and will ignore the law and common sense, just like we do now.

July 20, 2009 3:15 pm

amazingly no boxers but I would have guessed that too!

July 20, 2009 3:17 pm

I don’t know what it is about low-life leaches, but somehow they are drawn to Pit bulls… I love the breed, but if you ever go to a kill shelter, about 90% are Pits.

July 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Folks in my area have been writing to the local papers about this crap with the free cell phones. We also have county commisioners denying that anyone takes unfair advantage of the system. We do have “welfare queens and kings” who use the access card load up on garbage at the supermarket and hop into a new vehicle in the parking lot, but our commisioners say we are exaggerating and these people we see are “myths”. I am so sick of working to pay for other peoples mistakes and laziness it makes me want to cry. I personally know someone who has one of these phones, lives with her boyfriend and they both work “decent paying jobs”. In Pa. if you qualified last year for heating assistance you can get a phone. These people are in the bar 3-4 nights a week, they attend the local NASCAR race twice a year have 2 AKC dogs, 2 cars, and smoke marijuana regularly. Why should I pay for their phone????

Our commisioner also says it would cost 8 million a year to drug test the welfare recipients. While I find that hard to believe I would be willing to give my tax dollars for that instead of freebies.

I had to get this off my chest, I guess like a lot of working stiffs. Thanx

shannon
shannon
August 26, 2009 5:43 pm

My husband worked hard for years. He works for a company that builds parts for cars. Due to the economy here in our area, he has been laid off. My husband has paid into assistance for other people for years. We are a family of four who now llive on an unemployment check every two weeks. I find it only fair that now were in this situation we should receive help. And why not? We really do need this help. People should not put everybody on assistance in one category. Everyone has there own story. Some of you should walk in our shoes for a bit. If you lost your job tommorow what would you do? Exactly what we’re doing applying for assistance. I know there are other people out there working the system, but that is not everyone. So please before you rant and rave be thankful you are employed.

July 21, 2009 11:26 am

Yep Nancy. Go to the grocery right after the first of the month. I stand in line behind foreigners with 4 kids who can’t speak English. They load up their carts with juice boxes, sugared cereal, chips, soda, cookies, prepared deli food, blah blah blah. Then pay for it with foodstamps.

I am buying peanut butter, flour, eggs, milk, pasta, ramen, lettuce and some fruit, maybe some chicken or hamburger. Ingredients, basically.

I submit that the reason they don’t do well financially is that they are just STUPID. Having four kids when they don’t earn enough money to support them is STUPID. Feeding those kids a diet of junk food is STUPID. I am soooooo sick and tired of financing STUPIDITY. They raise STUPID kids who will more than likely go on to make the same mistakes. The really bad part is the government lets in poor + stupid people from all over the world now.

It doesn’t make sense. I would not allow a roommate to move in with me, if they couldn’t carry their own weight. Why should I allow them in my country either?

July 21, 2009 7:09 pm

HAH! good point about the roommate. I agree about the stupidity too and believe it to be true. The generational welfare around here is astonishing. The kids seem to be taught all about how to work the system before they go to school. My dad had a grocery store when I was young, I think 2 people would come to the store with foodstamps. Now it is every time I go grocery shopping. People used to be ashamed of it and wouldn’t tell anybody they were on welfare. Now it is like a badge of honor. What happened?

Oh back to the cell phone thing, I know it’s been said here probably a hundred times but I will say it again “they are not a necessity” of life. That would be things like air, water, food etc…

July 21, 2009 11:45 am

You guys should all watch the opening 10 minutes of Idiocracy… it’s describes Darwinism in reverse… essentially only the stupid people reproduce, and over 500 years, the world IQ drops to about 80. It’s supposed to be a comedy, but the parallels it draws to real life, make it more of a documentary.

Kaj – I think you should change your name to FedUp2…

July 21, 2009 12:09 pm

hee hee :)

I watched Idiocracy not long after it came out. The parallels frightened me. Look up “regression towards the mean”. Idiocracy can happen easily, heck it’s already happening.

July 21, 2009 11:32 am

Exactly! Oh I could go on and on about ways to fix that issue, but I won’t. The topic is cell phone’s and how to get the gov’t to pay for them for you.

kim
kim
July 20, 2009 3:46 pm

I do agree that any assistance people do get at taxpayers expense should have to pass a drug test and random testing thereafter. If you can afford the drugs then you do not need assistance. Thank does make me upset. These drug addict parents selling off food they got from food stamps that could be feeding there kids and they get money for it and buy drugs. Then we are paying for them to sit around and do more of it because the government will bail them out on all the utility assistance, rent assistance, and food stamps.

July 20, 2009 3:12 pm

$20 says the AKC dogs are Pits…

Armed In Bama
Armed In Bama
July 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Explain to me exactly what a ‘pit’ is? I own a Staffordshire Terrier and an American Bulldog, I currently am housing(rescues) two Bull Terriers and one Boston Bull terrier. Please understand that ‘pitbull’ is a generic term used to categorize numerous different breeds with a certain appearance. Dont lump my dogs into that category, They have a lineage and a breed name. I wouldnt deem to call your multi-breed dog a mutt or a Heinz-57.
And not all of these misunderstood dogs are what the Main Stream Media claim. Isnt the reason we are on sites like this is because we have a distrust of MSM and their policies in making you believe one thing while the other is in fact truth?
Just as we educate ourselves on the truth behind Government corruption and idiocy, Id like to ask that you educate yourself on Amstaffs and the like. MSM needs to be questioned on ALL stories, not just the ones you find fault with. Groovy, Mike

July 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Pit means any dog with a rounded muscular head where you can clearly identify some pitbull characteristics. I didn’t mean to specify a specific type of bull dog. If you go to your county kill shelter and look at the dogs, you’ll see many “mutt” dogs that have very distinct pit features.

I was not criticizing the breed – rather the mentality of the same individuals who cannot afford to pay for their own food, their own rent, and then choose to have two children, and a dog tied to a tree. That dog, with few exceptions, will likely be some type of pit.

In other words, it’s cool, tough, intimidating (because of the bad PR from the MSM), and bad-ass. Then, they don’t have them fixed, and boom – overpopulation of pits.

The issue with the MSM distorting the view of these beautiful animals is an entirely separate issue. I own a Rottweiler and a “Heinz-57” – both rescues. Yet, my insurance provider and HOA would have real issues if they knew about the Rottie. They get a bad wrap – but at least half the blame comes from the trailer trash that is attracted to the breed.

July 21, 2009 6:59 pm

i was not criticizing any breed of dog either, all dogs and children grow up to be what they are taught or forced to be. With the exception of some that are just bad seeds. Could happen to any breed or any race.

July 18, 2009 7:11 am

Don’t know where I read this – maybe on this thread or on the other one just recently posted… but if those that think this is a great idea were the ones to pay for it, GO FOR IT. Don’t force others to pay for a program you come up with. That’s called stealing – no matter how noble or selfless the cause.

“Did anyone take into consideration that MAYBE the “free cell phones” just might give someone a number to accept a phone call from a perspective employer so they can get a JOB and help pay for the “free cell phones” too? ”

Considered it, but also considered that this does not justify stealing from me. I didn’t get (or expect) a free phone when I was in the job market 20 years ago. In fact, I had to visit the potential employer for a face-to-face job request and interview… imagine that.

“Did you ever wonder if said cell phone could help someone call a college to receive training for a JOB to help pay for the “free cell phone”?

Huh? Should we pay for their clothes, lunch, housing, and vehicle too? Oh wait we do… Welfare, food stamps, section-8, and the new Cash-for-Clunker’s program. Yeah, what’s one more “free” benefit.

“What if an out of work, newly divorced mother who was out looking for a job was called by the babysitter and was told of an emergency involving her child was called on said cell phone – and perhaps that phone call saved the child’s life….”

If you can afford a babysitter… Otherwise, do what we did BEFORE cell phones. Leave child with family, friend, neighbor. Let them know WHERE you will be. When I was the babysitter 25 years ago, and cell phones were LUXURIES, the parents gave me a list of places and phone numbers of where they would be. Yes, it’s not a practical as carrying a phone, but I don’t think driving myself to work everyday is as practical as being chauffeured by a limo either…

“What if… I don’t believe that these cell phones come with very many minutes. Probably just enough to receive that call from the babysitter and the employer… Maybe you should “GET SICK” over something more important.”

Payphones have worked for over 100 years. They probably still work today. And yes they come with 68 minutes THAT ROLL OVER MONTH TO MONTH. I have a brother who is struggling to make ends meet, and his is barely able to afford a 45 minute plan. His pride and ethics will not allow him to mooch off the government – even though he’s eligible.

Tonya
Tonya
August 28, 2009 8:18 am

If he’s eligible isn’t he already “mooching of the government.”?

August 28, 2009 10:50 am

Not necessarily. My income level qualifies me for the phone and one or two other small govt handouts, but I don’t take them because I really don’t need them. I tighten my belt and make do or do without.

People settled this country with no freebies from the government. The western pioneers survived with what they could load on a wagon. They headed off to the unknown where there were no phones, roads, grocery stores or doctors. They had backbone that many Americans today have lost.

wpDiscuz