Exposing the Safelink Wireless government cell phone for the poor scam

by editor on March 11, 2009

Today we ran the story of Michelle Obama serving risotto at the soup kitchen down the street from the White House. She was surrounded by poor people frantically snapping photos with their cell phones.

If you’re anything like us (and we understand completely if you don’t want to be) you wondered, how can the poor afford cell phones, fancy ones with cameras? The monthly bills on these things can eat you alive. Is there some sort of free government cell phone service we didn’t know about?

Safelink Wireless Free Government Cell Phones

We were tipped off to the Safelink Wireless website. But please be warned that if you visit this site you are likely to walk away pissed off. Here’s what it says:

“SafeLink Wireless is a government supported program
that provides a free cell phone and airtime each
 month for income-eligible customers.”

free government cell phone from safelink wireless

Hello? Hello? Can anyone hear us complaining about this outrageous abuse?

“Lifeline Assistance is part of a program that was created by the government to provide discounted or free telephone service to income-eligible consumers. To help bring you this important benefit, SafeLink Wireless is proud to offer Lifeline Service. Through our Lifeline Service you will receive FREE cellular service, a FREE cell phone, and FREE Minutes every month! SafeLink Wireless Service does not cost anything – there are no contracts, no recurring fees and no monthly charges.”

“Any Minutes you do not use will roll-over. Features such as caller ID, call waiting and voicemail are all also included with your service. If you need additional Minutes, you can buy TracFone Airtime Cards at any TracFone retailer Walmart, Walgreens, Family Dollar, etc). SafeLink Airtime Cards will be available soon.”

“Your exact benefits, including the number of free Minutes you will receive, depend on the state you live in.”

Free cell phone from Safelink Wireless: how to qualify

“The process to qualify for Lifeline Service depends on the State you live in. In general, you may qualify if…

1. You already participate in other State or Federal assistance program such as Federal Public Housing Assistance, Food Stamps and Medicaid. OR
  2. Your total household income is at or below 135% of the poverty guidelines set by your State and/or the Federal Government. AND
  3. No one in your household currently receives Lifeline Service through another phone carrier.
  4. You have a valid United States Postal Address. In order for us to ship you your free phone you must live at a residence that can receive mail from the US Post Office. Sorry, but P.O. Boxes cannot be accepted.

In addition to meeting the guidelines above you will also be required to provide proof of your participation in an assistance program, or proof of your income level.

Un-freakin-believable. Outrageous. Shocking.

The way we read it, this Safelink Wireless program gives you a free cell phone, free monthly service, and free minutes. You qualify even if you make 35% more than the designated “poverty” level or if you’re already getting additional freebies from the government. And we see nothing that indicates you have to be a legal resident of the United States to qualify.

The site is also available in Spanish, leading to the not-too-unreasonable conclusion that a significant percentage of the free cell phones applicants conceivably could be, may be, might be undocumented aliens.

And, for God’s sake, we don’t even want to know how many of those filling out a Safelink application are currently stiffing a bank on a mortgage they never really qualified for in the first place.

We think we’re going to have a stroke. Would someone please call 911 on their free cell phone?

Note: Now Assurance Wireless (Virgin) and ReachOut Wireless (Nexus) are in the game. They plus other minor players account for 8 million government phones in circulation.

4967 Comments on "Exposing the Safelink Wireless government cell phone for the poor scam"

Notify of

Administrator
August 3, 2009 9:29 am

Dear Kyle:

You may want to check if there is a taxpayer funded program to improve your spelling and grammar. I’m certain there is, but you may have to pretend to be hispanic to get in.

BTW, “proud” to be using foodstamps and phone? May I ask where the pride comes from? Maybe thankful, but proud?

i call idiot i do got the phone i do get foodstamps and im proud and happy to be using them…see in this country when someoen fallss and needs help getting back up we help them if u dont like that mentality go ecudour mexico and hundreds of other countries that have no social systems and were one financial mistake could mean u and ur family starve to death it happens everyday assholes! you people that cry likes this will cry till ur put in this situation than u will look for help from anyone u can

August 3, 2009 9:42 am

ok spelling nazi im not trying to write all proper if i was i could but i dont care right now so get over it. Now for the rest of what uu said iam proud to get the fone and foodstamps i earned them i have payed taxes all my life…why did i do this couse that was my duty as a us citezien now wen i need help im getting it and im proud of the fact that i live in a country that is possible and ike i said before if u dont like this system go to one of the hundreds of countrys that have no social systems and were its possible u will die of starvation if u become in financial need of help. i can c were people would get mad over people that live on welfare like most black women do BTW ….but still its better than the alternative having the poor and unmotivated or just people with mental problems wandering around the street dieing of starvation …..our system needs work but granted the usa is the best country on this planet

August 3, 2009 10:25 am

“iam proud to get the fone and foodstamps i earned them i have payed taxes all my life…”

No, that would be retirement. Food stamps (it is two words) and phone (not fone) are government handouts, intended for those too poor to survive.

“i can c were people would get mad over people that live on welfare like most black women do BTW ….but still its better than the alternative having the poor and unmotivated or just people with mental problems wandering around the street dieing of starvation ….”

For the record, I never said “Black” woman in my New Orleans comment.

Your logic has a serious flaw (big surprise). You assume that if our government doesn’t take care of these people, they’ll die of starvation. If all the bleeding-heart wackos funded charities with their OWN money like they do with ways to spend MY money, you and the rest of the ‘proud’ recipients would be eating like kings.

August 3, 2009 11:42 am

im proud to get foodstamps and the fone…i earned it…ok spelling nazi…..if we didnt have social programs like foodstamps and the fone and welfare etc etc our country would be f*cked just like the countries on this planet that dont have these programs… i will bet my life on it that the people that dont like these programs as soon as u need them u will be right there with your hands out and if they didnt excist u would be the first ones to complain…im thinking about asking for more foodstamps tommorow i hope i get them!!!!!!!!!!!!….maybe more minutes for my fone too…yippppeee

Administrator
August 3, 2009 12:17 pm

Come on Kyle, you can’t spell, but you can spell cuss words fine. I had to moderate your cussing. Please don’t do it again. It just get’s put in the moderation queue anyway.

August 3, 2009 12:35 pm

shutup loser….oh btw this blog needs some work..seriously it looks like u designed it back in 1986

August 3, 2009 3:51 pm

It is always a good indication of intellect when a poster insults the admins/moderators. It’s the online version of “death-by-cop”.

Britton
August 3, 2009 1:05 pm

See folks, this is what happens when you sleep through English class. Point of fact for you Mr. Kyle (aka dumbass) Most internet browsers have a spell check option. Try using it sometimes.

If your poor inclination for spelling and proper syntax is any indication as to your work ethic its no wonder your using food stamps and wasting cell tower bandwidth with your worthless calls that are probably so ate up with slang that even linguistics experts can’t decode it. No one in there right mind would hire you. As for your “business” drug dealing doesn’t count.

Live it up dumb ass, be part of the problem, not the solution. It’s the American way because we all know ignorance is bliss.

Britton
August 2, 2009 10:03 pm

You know it’s amazing at how people like the “fat black chick on CNN” forget about ALL that other “help” they got, for most if not, all of the time they have been alive. It’s a sad day when you know human beings are brought up to think leaching off of government assistance is “a good thing and something to be proud of”. Not to mention the shear numbers of these leaches that take and enjoy burning up tax dollars, but all the while working. Such as non taxed work, money from family, drug sales, etc. None of that is reported, but that’s how thieves and con artists work.

I’d love to see the look on these worthless individuals faces if the Federal government said, “Hey America, were out of cash for social programs, your going to have to just make it on your own now”. It would be mass chaos, and looting’s aplenty. God I wish I could afford a gun! (not for killing people but for protection when the proverbial shit hits the fan.)

August 3, 2009 1:15 am

A 22 rifle isn’t that expensive. And ammo is cheap enough for it you can spend a decent amount of time learning to use it properly. It’s a good basic gun for a beginner.

But who needs guns, we can just use our free cell to call 911, right?

kim
kim
August 3, 2009 6:12 am

Over all the complaining of money taken from tax payers and government spending, I bet 90% of the people here look for every tax credit they can get at income tax time and get a refund of more money than they really paid in to begin with. Is that not taking from the government of what is not yours. 95% of the people have screwed someone at some point in their lives or made some mistakes. In the end complaining is not going to help and we all end this life the same way we came into it…with nothing. It’s only money. Money that doesn’t care if your alive or dead. Money is the root of all evil. Look how cruel you people have become to others less fortunate over money. Yes some people do take advantage and some really need help. Those that do take advantage, is the reason God has them here, to learn a lesson. They are less fortunate in knowledge but not as a human. Knowledge from these lovely public schools is not going to get people off of public assistance. Fix the poor education and you can fix a whole lot more along the way. Knowledge and strong will is the only thing God wants us to have. Freedom of choice to make mistakes and learn from them.

August 3, 2009 3:31 pm

Maybe God can give you some of his money?

August 3, 2009 8:51 am

I’m sure your comment is just to work us into a lather – so I’ll keep my response short.

If you feel it’s only money, and money is the root of all evil, please, do us all a favor, and fund this program with YOUR money.

I don’t know who posted this earlier, but the point is profound:

The people who come up with these grand compassionate ideas are quick to volunteer taxpayer money. Instead, if they’re so passionate about the issue, have them donate their own money – and work at raising funds from like-minded individuals. The problem, of course, is the compassion is only apparent when they don’t have to pay for it.

BTW, watch Idiocracy before going on about religion.

August 3, 2009 3:49 am

when will it end? next we should provide them with a free car and gas vouchers so they can get to and from their untaxed jobs. two people work at a local bar (under the table). One is a barmaid, her boyfriend a “DJ”. He also sells pasties that he makes at their section 8 house. They complain about their $675.00 a month rent because the higher the rent the higher their out of pocket expense. They have to cough up $150.00 a month. I guess we pay the rest. He advertises when he is selling pasties on his myspace page. They have three kids, only one is his and the other two are by 2 dif fathers, because only one is white. I don’t know if it’s the area I live in or what but this lifestyle is more normal than a working family with one or two kids from the same mom and dad. They applied for the cell phone last I heard, shouldn’t have a hard time getting one.

I just read where the government might have to raise middle-class taxes to help lower the deficit. It’s outrageous to raise our taxes while giving away more of them to low-lifes. How much more do we have to take?

August 3, 2009 3:47 pm

Turn them in. Some states have anonymous tip lines to report fraud.

August 2, 2009 8:46 am

i have the phone its very helpful

Eric
Eric
September 16, 2009 3:52 pm

Loser. You obviously have a computer too. Did I pay for that also?

Administrator
August 2, 2009 9:01 am

Can you at least say thank you to us taxpayers for your free Safelink Wireless phone? We paid for it, along with your other benefits.

Ken
Ken
August 31, 2009 6:55 pm

Say thanks to WHOM Mr. Administrator? Thanks to all of YOU who paid for my phone? What about the money that I paid into the system for 40 some years? I paid for my phone many times over. TV Commercials (if one s to believe them) say that the Social Security we pay is like insurance. Well, I’m collecting mine … after losing my job, my house amd my wife. Just curious, are people like you and FED UP (whom I still think should change to SHUT UP) going to retire eventually and collect Social Security? If you were disabled, would you try to collect? I suppose you never buy anything on sale and always pay full price, too.

If anyone truly qualifies for the phone, I wish you well with it. If it was my tax dollars that helped provide it, you’re welcome.

Ya know, I just got approved for disablity and should be getting my checks soon. I am taking my first few checksand giving back with it in these tough times. I have reserved a hall, got involved with a caterer, and will be hosting a Breakfast with Santa in early December. The charge of “admission” to this event will be a toy which I will give to nedy and deserving kids this christmas through several churhes. I am donating the cost of the hall and feeding these people on my own. I will be the Big Elf, Himself…. Santa. And if I could I would probaly put coal in the stockings of all y’all who are against this cell phone plan. Merry Christmas!!!!

August 2, 2009 11:53 pm

correction i paid for that phone of mine twenty thousand times over i have paid taxes all my life i owned a successful company at one time i have worked and lived the wage slave lifestyle too i recently ran into trouble (made some investments that went bad)and yes iam proud and very happy to get some of the tens of thousands of dollars that i have paid out in taxes i love the fone i use it to call my friends all day long i also get food stamps and i think they r wonderful!….i eat the best food.iam proud to use the fone and foodtsamps i earned it twenty MILLION TIMES OVER

August 3, 2009 1:11 am

I call troll.

August 3, 2009 9:24 am

August 2, 2009 10:10 am

But why? It’s called an entitlement for a reason. I can still remember that big fat chick in New Orleans screaming at the CNN cameras “Where’s my FEMA CHECK? FEMA AIN’T DONE NOTHIN FO ME!”

Britton
Britton
August 2, 2009 12:08 pm

LMAO!

August 2, 2009 1:02 pm

get it right it’s “ain’t done nuttin’ fo me” also LMAO

July 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Kim I don’t know your situation. But I never thought my life was stable enough to have children, I was not old enough or I wasn’t done having a good time, didn’t have the right guy or what ever.The main reason was that I thought of the expense and sacrifice to my career and I wasn’t able to give that up, hence no kids. I don’t regret it, it was an excellent choice for me. My point is I didn’t expect anyone else to step up and support me, my kids or my habits. I love working but I do get very angry. I spent a lifetime building for my future and the government can just come along and take what they want, when they want. Again, I say the phone is just adding insult to injury. Enough is too much already! I agree when you say there are worse things to worry about like foodstamps, section 8 etc…

kim
kim
August 3, 2009 8:02 pm

I am not asking anyone to step in and take care of my family. We would of never had children if we weren’t in a position to afford them. No one can predict losing a job that was held for many many years. Let alone that no one is hiring. Sure they advertise now hiring, but go and apply and you are either over qualified or they are afraid your going to leave eventually for a better paying job, so they don’t hire you. Children have a hard enough time not understanding they can’t have the things they use to be able to have…why have trouble feeding them too through no fault of our own. I work and my husband takes care of them until he finds a job again. I don’t make enough to support all of us.

kim
kim
July 23, 2009 6:39 am

I think it’s great people are so negative and hateful there are worst things to worry about than a phone

July 23, 2009 6:46 am

It’s the principal of it, Kim. It is government taking from one group to give to another. While I do despise laziness, my problem is with the people who come up with these ideas (and then don’t pay for them), and the politicians who enable this.

Again, a government who robs Peter (me) to pay Paul (the poor), can always depend on the support (votes) of Paul.

The more poor and needy there are, the more support the government gets. It’s a vicious cycle, where those who ultimately pay for everything have absolutely no voice.

I’m sure you’ve seen this circulate as an email, but it very nicely sums up the problem with these social charity programs:

“An economics professor at a local college made a statement that he had never failed a single student before but had once failed an entire class.

That class had insisted that Obama’s socialism worked and that no one would be poor and no one would be rich, a great equalizer.

The professor then said, “OK, we will have an experiment in this class on Obama’s plan”. All grades would be averaged and everyone would receive the same grade so no one would fail and no one would receive an A.

After the first test, the grades were averaged and everyone got a B.

The students who studied hard were upset and the students who studied little were happy.

As the second test rolled around, the students who studied little had studied even less and the ones who studied hard decided they wanted a free ride too so they studied little.

The second test average was a D! No one was happy.

When the 3rd test rolled around, the average was an F.

The scores never increased as bickering, blame and name-calling all resulted in hard feelings and no one would study for the benefit of anyone else.

All failed, to their great surprise, and the professor told them that socialism would also ultimately fail because when the reward is great, the effort to succeed is great but when government takes all the reward away, no one will try or want to succeed.”

Britton
July 28, 2009 10:05 pm

That one was so good I had to copy that message and forward it to my friends. Nice one!

Valerie
Valerie
July 22, 2009 11:06 am

I had a track phone given to me by a granddaughter, to use in emergency’s, it was listed in another county, through wall mart. I am diabetic. I broke down in my truck, called 911, on my track phone, to be denied help and hung up on. by the 911 person. because it routed the 911 call to the are the cell was bought in. Im on disability, I cant afford a cell phone as much as id like one!..and need one, i live in the northern country of Mi. where most roads have very little traffic. If I had not broke down a half mile from a gas station i would have died, before help came along. as it was i had to walk to that station, which sent me into major low blood sugar. a very close call for my life and coma…Ive tried to get this free phone only to be denied and ignored due to the fact i live 1 block from a post office and can only have a post box. im denied a mail box. by the US post office. and the free phone will not come to a post box. so all of u who think this FREE PHONE is ripping u off……I also have a land line and pay for the same money line all of u do!

July 22, 2009 6:27 pm

Sue the 911 dispatch, if you believe they were negligent.

You can opt to have a cell phone INSTEAD of a landline phone, you know. This is what I did, because I couldn’t afford both. Sure I can’t gab on the phone for hours every day, but I at least have a phone for important things.

July 21, 2009 7:11 pm

“A government which robs Peter to pay Paul
can always depend on the support of Paul.”
– George Bernard Shaw.

July 21, 2009 3:43 am

I think alot of people use the dogs reputation to make up for their inferiority. Problem is that the ones who get hurt are the poor dogs because they are abused and innocent people and animals who get mauled by them.

Recently the city where I live opened a beautiful river front park, already they are talking about banning dogs. The reason is because a small dog on a leash was killed by two free roaming pits. another pit was shot by police because it was chasing people.

I know I got off the subject a little but now to ban all dogs??? the little dog who was killed would no longer be allowed at the park had he lived. I don’t think the pit bulls were owned by one of our upstanding citizens. There is a big debate about how you can not ban a specific breed. I don’t have a number but the city police encounter the same problem all over the city and these dogs are being shot and killed all the time. Wilkes-Barre Pa. is the city by the way.

Britton
July 21, 2009 9:05 am

Well actually the ones to get hurt are the small children the dogs go after if they break free of there restraints. Which are usually attached to some old bombed out car sitting in the back yard or a raggedy dog house with “e-z break” wood siding sitting in the middle of a worn patch of ground out in the blazing hot mid day sun. Sometimes its just a piece of clothes line tied to a metal corkscrew in the ground. To top it all off, the poor dogs look about half starved and have been treated so “ghetto” they have developed anger management issues. All that on top of the beating the joke of an owner gives them to make them meaner(for illegal fighting purposes). Maybe I don’t “get it” when it comes to that type of dog. It sure seems to me like that is against the law. The owner knows the dog can get loose and it will attack out of fear and hunger anything in its line of sight. All while the owner sits in his/her house (paid for by the tax money) and sells drugs or uses them. Just talking away on their Safelink wireless phone, eating shrimp and potatoes they bought with there easy to use food stamp debit card from their local wal-mart. Go Go G money! And if that’s not enough to grind your gears, just think like they do for a second. “Oh come on girl, you can get it on with me, I won’t get you to pregnant, just think you’ll get an extra check if you let me slam one up in ya.” With that kind of thinking I’m not surprised America is in the shape its in today.

July 21, 2009 11:58 am

LOL Britton! In fairness, the only irresponsible pit bull owners I have seen were extreme cases on TV shows. I’ve met a couple responsible owners in real life, who trained their dogs well and took really good care of them. These were people that fully understood the extra work involved in raising and training these dogs, from what I can tell.

Unfortunately, the responsible will have to pay for the irresponsible once again. My city is considering a very strict ordinance for pits, involving fencelines with a cement base, liability insurance, muzzles anytime the animal is outside of the house, and so on. I am sure that there will be repsonsible owners who cannot afford an eight foot fence with a 3 foot concrete base & a million dollar liability policy…..they will have to move or get rid of their dog. That’s truly a shame.

What’s goofy is the responsible peeps will follow the law. We will still have scum who don’t care, and will ignore the law and common sense, just like we do now.

July 20, 2009 3:15 pm

amazingly no boxers but I would have guessed that too!

July 20, 2009 3:17 pm

I don’t know what it is about low-life leaches, but somehow they are drawn to Pit bulls… I love the breed, but if you ever go to a kill shelter, about 90% are Pits.

July 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Folks in my area have been writing to the local papers about this crap with the free cell phones. We also have county commisioners denying that anyone takes unfair advantage of the system. We do have “welfare queens and kings” who use the access card load up on garbage at the supermarket and hop into a new vehicle in the parking lot, but our commisioners say we are exaggerating and these people we see are “myths”. I am so sick of working to pay for other peoples mistakes and laziness it makes me want to cry. I personally know someone who has one of these phones, lives with her boyfriend and they both work “decent paying jobs”. In Pa. if you qualified last year for heating assistance you can get a phone. These people are in the bar 3-4 nights a week, they attend the local NASCAR race twice a year have 2 AKC dogs, 2 cars, and smoke marijuana regularly. Why should I pay for their phone????

Our commisioner also says it would cost 8 million a year to drug test the welfare recipients. While I find that hard to believe I would be willing to give my tax dollars for that instead of freebies.

I had to get this off my chest, I guess like a lot of working stiffs. Thanx

shannon
shannon
August 26, 2009 5:43 pm

My husband worked hard for years. He works for a company that builds parts for cars. Due to the economy here in our area, he has been laid off. My husband has paid into assistance for other people for years. We are a family of four who now llive on an unemployment check every two weeks. I find it only fair that now were in this situation we should receive help. And why not? We really do need this help. People should not put everybody on assistance in one category. Everyone has there own story. Some of you should walk in our shoes for a bit. If you lost your job tommorow what would you do? Exactly what we’re doing applying for assistance. I know there are other people out there working the system, but that is not everyone. So please before you rant and rave be thankful you are employed.

July 21, 2009 11:26 am

Yep Nancy. Go to the grocery right after the first of the month. I stand in line behind foreigners with 4 kids who can’t speak English. They load up their carts with juice boxes, sugared cereal, chips, soda, cookies, prepared deli food, blah blah blah. Then pay for it with foodstamps.

I am buying peanut butter, flour, eggs, milk, pasta, ramen, lettuce and some fruit, maybe some chicken or hamburger. Ingredients, basically.

I submit that the reason they don’t do well financially is that they are just STUPID. Having four kids when they don’t earn enough money to support them is STUPID. Feeding those kids a diet of junk food is STUPID. I am soooooo sick and tired of financing STUPIDITY. They raise STUPID kids who will more than likely go on to make the same mistakes. The really bad part is the government lets in poor + stupid people from all over the world now.

It doesn’t make sense. I would not allow a roommate to move in with me, if they couldn’t carry their own weight. Why should I allow them in my country either?

July 21, 2009 7:09 pm

HAH! good point about the roommate. I agree about the stupidity too and believe it to be true. The generational welfare around here is astonishing. The kids seem to be taught all about how to work the system before they go to school. My dad had a grocery store when I was young, I think 2 people would come to the store with foodstamps. Now it is every time I go grocery shopping. People used to be ashamed of it and wouldn’t tell anybody they were on welfare. Now it is like a badge of honor. What happened?

Oh back to the cell phone thing, I know it’s been said here probably a hundred times but I will say it again “they are not a necessity” of life. That would be things like air, water, food etc…

July 21, 2009 11:45 am

You guys should all watch the opening 10 minutes of Idiocracy… it’s describes Darwinism in reverse… essentially only the stupid people reproduce, and over 500 years, the world IQ drops to about 80. It’s supposed to be a comedy, but the parallels it draws to real life, make it more of a documentary.

Kaj – I think you should change your name to FedUp2…

July 21, 2009 12:09 pm

hee hee :)

I watched Idiocracy not long after it came out. The parallels frightened me. Look up “regression towards the mean”. Idiocracy can happen easily, heck it’s already happening.

Britton
July 21, 2009 11:32 am

Exactly! Oh I could go on and on about ways to fix that issue, but I won’t. The topic is cell phone’s and how to get the gov’t to pay for them for you.

kim
kim
July 20, 2009 3:46 pm

I do agree that any assistance people do get at taxpayers expense should have to pass a drug test and random testing thereafter. If you can afford the drugs then you do not need assistance. Thank does make me upset. These drug addict parents selling off food they got from food stamps that could be feeding there kids and they get money for it and buy drugs. Then we are paying for them to sit around and do more of it because the government will bail them out on all the utility assistance, rent assistance, and food stamps.

July 20, 2009 3:12 pm

$20 says the AKC dogs are Pits…

Armed In Bama
Armed In Bama
July 21, 2009 12:41 pm

Explain to me exactly what a ‘pit’ is? I own a Staffordshire Terrier and an American Bulldog, I currently am housing(rescues) two Bull Terriers and one Boston Bull terrier. Please understand that ‘pitbull’ is a generic term used to categorize numerous different breeds with a certain appearance. Dont lump my dogs into that category, They have a lineage and a breed name. I wouldnt deem to call your multi-breed dog a mutt or a Heinz-57.
And not all of these misunderstood dogs are what the Main Stream Media claim. Isnt the reason we are on sites like this is because we have a distrust of MSM and their policies in making you believe one thing while the other is in fact truth?
Just as we educate ourselves on the truth behind Government corruption and idiocy, Id like to ask that you educate yourself on Amstaffs and the like. MSM needs to be questioned on ALL stories, not just the ones you find fault with. Groovy, Mike

July 21, 2009 1:28 pm

Pit means any dog with a rounded muscular head where you can clearly identify some pitbull characteristics. I didn’t mean to specify a specific type of bull dog. If you go to your county kill shelter and look at the dogs, you’ll see many “mutt” dogs that have very distinct pit features.

I was not criticizing the breed – rather the mentality of the same individuals who cannot afford to pay for their own food, their own rent, and then choose to have two children, and a dog tied to a tree. That dog, with few exceptions, will likely be some type of pit.

In other words, it’s cool, tough, intimidating (because of the bad PR from the MSM), and bad-ass. Then, they don’t have them fixed, and boom – overpopulation of pits.

The issue with the MSM distorting the view of these beautiful animals is an entirely separate issue. I own a Rottweiler and a “Heinz-57” – both rescues. Yet, my insurance provider and HOA would have real issues if they knew about the Rottie. They get a bad wrap – but at least half the blame comes from the trailer trash that is attracted to the breed.

July 21, 2009 6:59 pm

i was not criticizing any breed of dog either, all dogs and children grow up to be what they are taught or forced to be. With the exception of some that are just bad seeds. Could happen to any breed or any race.

July 18, 2009 7:11 am

Don’t know where I read this – maybe on this thread or on the other one just recently posted… but if those that think this is a great idea were the ones to pay for it, GO FOR IT. Don’t force others to pay for a program you come up with. That’s called stealing – no matter how noble or selfless the cause.

“Did anyone take into consideration that MAYBE the “free cell phones” just might give someone a number to accept a phone call from a perspective employer so they can get a JOB and help pay for the “free cell phones” too? ”

Considered it, but also considered that this does not justify stealing from me. I didn’t get (or expect) a free phone when I was in the job market 20 years ago. In fact, I had to visit the potential employer for a face-to-face job request and interview… imagine that.

“Did you ever wonder if said cell phone could help someone call a college to receive training for a JOB to help pay for the “free cell phone”?

Huh? Should we pay for their clothes, lunch, housing, and vehicle too? Oh wait we do… Welfare, food stamps, section-8, and the new Cash-for-Clunker’s program. Yeah, what’s one more “free” benefit.

“What if an out of work, newly divorced mother who was out looking for a job was called by the babysitter and was told of an emergency involving her child was called on said cell phone – and perhaps that phone call saved the child’s life….”

If you can afford a babysitter… Otherwise, do what we did BEFORE cell phones. Leave child with family, friend, neighbor. Let them know WHERE you will be. When I was the babysitter 25 years ago, and cell phones were LUXURIES, the parents gave me a list of places and phone numbers of where they would be. Yes, it’s not a practical as carrying a phone, but I don’t think driving myself to work everyday is as practical as being chauffeured by a limo either…

“What if… I don’t believe that these cell phones come with very many minutes. Probably just enough to receive that call from the babysitter and the employer… Maybe you should “GET SICK” over something more important.”

Payphones have worked for over 100 years. They probably still work today. And yes they come with 68 minutes THAT ROLL OVER MONTH TO MONTH. I have a brother who is struggling to make ends meet, and his is barely able to afford a 45 minute plan. His pride and ethics will not allow him to mooch off the government – even though he’s eligible.

Tonya
Tonya
August 28, 2009 8:18 am

If he’s eligible isn’t he already “mooching of the government.”?

August 28, 2009 10:50 am

Not necessarily. My income level qualifies me for the phone and one or two other small govt handouts, but I don’t take them because I really don’t need them. I tighten my belt and make do or do without.

People settled this country with no freebies from the government. The western pioneers survived with what they could load on a wagon. They headed off to the unknown where there were no phones, roads, grocery stores or doctors. They had backbone that many Americans today have lost.

R
R
July 18, 2009 4:59 am

Wow. Did anyone take into consideration that MAYBE the “free cell phones” just might give someone a number to accept a phone call from a perspective employer so they can get a JOB and help pay for the “free cell phones” too? Did you ever wonder if said cell phone could help someone call a college to receive training for a JOB to help pay for the “free cell phone”? What if an out of work, newly divorced mother who was out looking for a job was called by the babysitter and was told of an emergency involving her child was called on said cell phone – and perhaps that phone call saved the child’s life…. what if… I don’t believe that these cell phones come with very many minutes. Probably just enough to receive that call from the babysitter and the employer… Maybe you should “GET SICK” over something more important.

Linda
Linda
August 1, 2009 11:54 am

I agree with you. what people do not understand is there are truly hard working people out there, and because of hard time can’t get phones service either by a phone company or a cell phone company. this free phone could be a life line for those people. same on ingorance. they say ingnorance is bliss but in this case ingnorance is just plain ingnorance.

July 18, 2009 12:38 pm

To R…….. So tell us, how did people handle those kind of situations *before* cell phones were commonplace? You only need to go back about ten years. That would be 1998-99 or so. People were not dying in the streets or children languishing in hospitals for lack of a cell phone. So the tactic of imagining “what if” scenarios is nonsense.

Second, what *might* happen because someone doesn’t have a cell, is no excuse for stealing from others. Using your examples of a job hunter and a babysitter, let’s look at it another way:

Is the job hunter entitled to stick a gun in my face to take money for a cell phone so he can continue job hunting? Is the newly-divorced mother entitled to stick a gun in my face to take money for a cell phone because her babysitter MIGHT need to call her? Are they entitled to hire a street gang to go around stealing money for them to have cell phones?

If the answer is No, then how are they entitled to have their pals in government do it for them instead? It’s very simple…..the government takes tax money via coercion. If you don’t pay, they come and take it. If you put up a fight they put you in jail or shoot you, depending on how big of a fight you put up. And the free cell phone recipients are standing in the background, witing to be handed the spoils.

youallsuck
youallsuck
September 19, 2009 9:09 pm

first off back 10 years or so ago when the first cell phone was made you should also know that also around then have the handicap become more independent with chair lifts and handicap controls on their cars so yes even though most people was able to do without a cell phone handicap people however where stuck at home inside and now they have the opportunity to actually get into a car by themselves and even drive even though people like my father who has no legs can drive a car and go where he want and not have to wait on someone to come to take him somewhere and get him into the car and then load his wheelchair but if his car was to break down or he was to get a flat what would he do??? I’m sure none of you jerks on here would stop to help someone else in need.
I hope that you all have good health and god forbid something should happen to you or someone you care about especially after working your butt off for a company and country that turns its back on you once you are no longer able to work, and a country that is more willing to give to people in other countries than people its own country, I hope you have someone there that will be willing to help. But everyone when they are healthy thinks they are indestructible but one day your time will come and i hope everyone of you that are in need of assistance thinks back on this.

And for your stealing from others is just showing how stupid people like you can be, people put years of their life into helping build this country by the years they work and they paid in their taxes the same as everyone else and paid into social security and when they can no longer work you all want to turn your back, the same as our military men once our country figures they cant work anymore all these men coming back from war missing arms and legs or are mentally messed up where is their country then??? Its to busy giving money to people that dont even live here or to busy trying to help other countries while their own country is falling apart and their own people go without…and this is what you complain about a cell phone for people that need them?

September 20, 2009 2:28 am

I don’t recall seeing hundreds of stranded drivers along the roadsides before the days when cell phones were common, handicapped or not. That excuse doesn’t fly. Or drive either.

The reason people here complain about free cell phones is because….well….. that’s what the article is about. The government certainly spends money in all sorts of ridiculous ways, but this particular Comments section is about the free cell phone scam.

Rick Astley.
Rick Astley.
July 17, 2009 10:27 am

I just don’t see why you are bitching over people getting free cell phones…Try doing something better with your time.

July 17, 2009 11:51 am

We should ignore it when someone steals from us? I might understand stealing for survival, like food or shelter. People can die without these things. But a cell phone? Cell phones have been ubiquitous for only about 10 years. At what point did they become a necessity?

Let me tell you how silly liberals are. They won’t pay for dental or eyeglasses. But they will give people free cell phones.

Bread and circuses, and you folks eat it right up.

SARCASTIC
SARCASTIC
October 12, 2009 3:59 pm

HEY KAJ-

DID YOU KNOW THAT GOVERMENT RUN MEDICAID PAYS FOR EYEGLASSES. 1 FREE PAIR PER YEAR. THEY ALSO COVER ROUTINE DENTAL CARE FOR THOSE UNDER 21, AND EMERGENCY DENTAL FOR ALL OTHERS. IS THAT A WASTE?? AND YES WE GET FREE CELL PHONES!!!

ARE YOU JEALOUS THAT YOU DON’T HAVE THESE BENEFITS??? WELL ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS INVITE THE GOVERNMENT INTO EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR LIFE, GIVE UP ALL YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS TO ANY LAWSUITS, CHILD SUPPORT, ALIMONY, ETC. MOVE OUT OF YOUR NICE HOUSE AND MOVE TO AN INNER CITY PROJECT WHERE YOU HAVE TO DODGE BULLETS AND DEAL WITH DRUG DEALERS ON EVERY CORNER. EMPTY OUT YOU BANK ACCOUNT ( YOU CAN’T HAVE MORE THAN $500 IN SAVINGS). DO ALL THAT AND YOU CAN BE JUST LIKE US.

YAY WELFARE !!!

DAVID
DAVID
September 17, 2009 9:53 am

Don’t ya just hate for some one to get somen u your self cant get…haha

JASMINE
JASMINE
August 31, 2009 11:45 am

they became a necessity when your driving down the road in the middle of nowhere and the breaks go out in your car, and you slam into a pole, and not one single person stops to help you.. what are you to do then.. just sit and pray that someone extends a helping hand?? Dosent happen in this world. My safelink phone saved my life. Get over it already.

Eric
Eric
September 16, 2009 3:49 pm

Jasmine has the typical welfare scum mentality. It’s everyone elses problem and/or it’s her RIGHT to have everything everyone else has. Even if she can’t afford it. Boo hoo. Welfare scum..

Jessica
Jessica
September 14, 2009 9:40 am

It sounds like, Jamine, you need to just stay out of a car!! First, you say you were in an accident that left you unable to work (what happened to your settlement money from that? Oh, they didnt have insurance? Did you?) and now, you are telling us the brakes went out on your car and you slammed into a poll? Tell me, dear, what injury’s keep you from working, but not keep you from driving? You can get a job at a call center, where you just sit and talk. You can obviously sit and drive! And guess what… before ppl had cell phone, they still broke down in the middle of no where.

Valerie
Valerie
August 3, 2009 10:02 pm

thank u for the food for thought.

Administrator
July 16, 2009 4:02 pm

Update: Posted a new article, Wireless welfare: Free-cell-phones-for-the-poor scam expands. All you fake poor people posting here can go make some comments over there now too!

Administrator
July 15, 2009 11:40 am

Hey everyone, more cell phones!

Poor in Colorado may get free phones

TracFone Wireless wants to give cellphones to Coloradans who receive public assistance.

Thousands of low-income Coloradans reliant on public assistance could get a free cellphone under a plan before the state Public Utilities Commission.

If approved, the plan by TracFone Wireless in Miami would make Colorado the 17th state it has settled into with free cell service for the indigent, a form of wireless welfare that proponents say taps into one of the last untapped markets for the telecom technology.

“Our hope is to have it up and running by September,” said Jose Fuentes, TracFone’s director of government relations. “Historically, it’s a very underutilized service, and we’d like that to change.”

The program is a twist on Lifeline, a long-standing federal subsidy that provides low-income families with a break on their land-line telephone bill in order to ensure emergency 911 service.

In Colorado, it’s called LITAP — the Low Income Telephone Assistance Program — and is available to anyone receiving aid from any of six welfare funds: Colorado Works Assistance (TANF), Supplemental Security Income, LEAP, Aid to Needy Disabled, the Old Age Pension Fund and Aid to the Blind.

Statewide, about 65 percent of those eligible participated in Lifeline last year.

The money — more than $800 million in subsidies were paid last year for low-income phone service across the country — comes from the Universal Service Fund, a tax on all telephone lines. Of that amount, Coloradans received nearly $3.2 million in low-income subsidies.

TracFone’s subsidized program, called Safelink Wireless, gives users at least 68 minutes of free cell service each month — in Colorado, it would be 83 minutes — and unlimited access to 911 service even if the minutes are used up.

Users also get a free Motorola phone worth $50, according to the company’s PUC filing. As long as subscribers are on the welfare rolls, they get the phone subsidy.

TracFone is best known as one of the country’s biggest pay-as-you-go phone services, and Safelink subscribers can purchase additional minutes on the government-paid cellphone, Fuentes said.

“Historically, we’ve attracted those who don’t have the means to afford a monthly billing for a land phone or don’t want to be tied to a long-term cell contract,” Fuentes said.

The idea is to convert Safelink users to regular cell customers as they are weaned from the public dole.

Critics question the cellphone idea, mostly pointing to malfunctions or user error that could create a problem in an emergency.

JASMINE
JASMINE
August 31, 2009 11:41 am

Whomever wrote this article needs to shut they’re damn mouth. I personally have a safelink phone as well as get government assistance on other fronts.. If it were not for my safelink phone i would have been stranded on the side of the road over 2 hours from where i live because my brakes went in my car… Just because you make to much money to recieve anything from the government dosent give you the right to bash us people who need the help. I was in a car accident in 2004 and because of that i cannot work.. is that my fault?!? No its not, so i dont ((and i’m sure many people will side with me)) feel its fair to be judged on income alone. Why dont you get off your lazy ass and do something with your life instead of complaing about everybody elses.

Thak you!

Eric
Eric
September 16, 2009 3:47 pm

You’re the lazy ass Jasmine. Really? Welfare cellphones? Poor people suck. You abuse the system and the gov’t doesn’t care. You and your ilk make me sick. Free housing. Free food. Free transportation. Free health care. And you have the nerve to bitch about people getting upset. You’re the problem with this country, but you finally got hte right president in office so you’re all set. Welfare scum…

Joe
Joe
September 16, 2009 6:10 pm

ERIC! UR A JERK!!!

You don’t pay the maximum amount of federal taxes so that makes you get more than you pay for. You’re too dumb to understand economics and I don’t feel like writing a book to explain this to you!

You remind me of all the other lower middle class wage earners they think they support the poorest, when, in fact, YOU JUST TAKE LESS! That doesn’t make u better. In fact, you’re comments make you look like an ass!

Britton
July 15, 2009 1:22 pm

I don’t even need to catch up on this crap. (I’m gonna start cussing for long, hope the mod don’t mind to much)

I want the whole country of the Unified States of the America (are we really so unified?) to understand that there all idiots, including myself, and that if we keep leaching off the government not only are we f*cked…. were super f*cked! In the ass with crazy glue on our lips and our hands tied behind out backs. Ass pounding extreme!!! Sure hope you brought your lube for your Asian masters when they take over with there Indian partners. Buying up American property and interest at penny’s for the dollar. Why because the government is broke from paying for to much “crap” without proper financial back up.

(last line deleted)

Note from Admin: If you want a comment posted, you have to keep it clean. We clean up this one, but won’t again.

youallsuck
youallsuck
September 19, 2009 9:29 pm

yeah that why you all shouldnt be on here whining about cell phones for people in need maybe people that are not American citizens but you should be complaining and protesting to the wars that has cost
Total Cost of Wars Since 2001
$911,345,245,949
and by the end of 2010 it will be over a trillion dollars, and this people is what you are complaining about???

Britton
September 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Below is a direct copy of an email I received. I have placed it in its entirety here for all to see. It’s only lacking the picture. Which I will describe to you. Basically it is a Tombstone that reads

United States of America
Born July 4, 1776
Died Nov 4, 2008
Reason: Sucide

It then continues with these words…

Professor Joseph Olson of Hamline University School of Law, St. Paul , Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the recent Presidential election:

* Number of States won by: Democrats: 19 Republicans: 29
* Square miles of land won by: Democrats: 580,000 Republicans: 2,427,000
* Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million
* Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Democrats: 13.2 Republicans: 2.1

Professor Olson adds: “In aggregate, the map of the territory Republicans won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of the country.

Democrat territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare…”
Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the “complacency and apathy” phase of Professor Tyler’s definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation’s population already having reached the “governmental dependency” phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegals and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years.

If you are in favor of this, then by all means, delete this message.

If you are not, then pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom.

I thought about taking out the last lines, since you really can’t forward this message on, unless you copy then create an email, then paste it. I am sure no one viewing this article will do that. I have to agree with the message in the mail box. Which simply put means that American’s are lazy and want something for nothing. Such as showing up at your job, only to sit on your ass all day doing nothing and expect a fat paycheck at the end of the week. All I can say is when it all falls apart in your mindless faces, you can’t say you weren’t warned.

Britton
July 16, 2009 9:28 pm

Ok, sorry about that. I just get a little carried away sometimes.

July 15, 2009 11:54 am

To those that say this isn’t paid by the taxpayer, take note: The $800M comes from the Universal Service Fund, a tax on all telephone lines.

Nice to see the writer of this article call a spade, a spade.

youallsuck
youallsuck
September 19, 2009 8:45 pm

you know this is a good program and for some of you that dont think about the disabled that need a phone, for instance my father lost both of his legs in a work related accident, and the only way he can drive a car is with hand controls, and in no way would he be able to fix a flat if one was to occur, and he worked his whole life and when he was 59 he had his injury at work, and in them years that he worked he paid into the government like everyone else as well as social security and yes i believe our government needs to do more to help people that are in need i do agree that this service should be only available to people that are United States Citizens, but it seems to me that all you people would be more worried about all of our money going over seas like to Iraq and them instead of staying in our own country helping our own American Citizens!!! Billions are being spent in a war that is going no where and helping to re-build a country that wanted to destroy us and this, THIS IS WHAT YOU ALL HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT, our country for once is doing something to help some people in need in this country and you all are pissed well you need to be pissed about the billions leaving our country to help some sorry F_ _ _ers that dont even like America or Americans and would like nothing better than to see us fall, and i bet they are just loving the fact that our money is going over there while they save up theirs and heck for them that is just more money to buy more ammunition and bombs and think of more ways to bring us down and think of more ways they can attack us, maybe they can send more people over here and use the money to send them to school to fly so they can set up another 9/11. You all piss me off ,cause you piss and whine about helping our own people and the little bit our government does for them,but you don’t open your mouths when there are more important issues at hand. So shut the F___k UP!

juandos
juandos
September 21, 2009 3:52 am

Sadly ‘youallsuck’ is yet another example of what results when one ends up being schooled in a government run madrassa…

The silly bastard obviously doesn’t know about the Constitution, most especially what the federal government’s role is…

Its not the federal government to extort money from the productive in order to pander to the PARASITIC…

youallsuck
youallsuck
October 28, 2009 6:09 am

you really are one dumb sorry fu_k, if you don’t know what Madrassa is and how it is run then don’t f_cking use it, one day I really hope when you are in your fifties or sixties and you fall ill, and hopefully I pray that you lose your legs, or your arms or just fu_cking become so mentally retarded(not far to go) that you have to resort to asking your sorry as_ government for help after working for forty plus years and they hand you a check every month for $800.00 I sure hope that happens just so you can find out how far that check gets you, and see how you can afford your mortgage,utilities, food, gas and everything else that comes with life, Or if its not you I pray that it is your mom or dad or even your damn child and hopefully they don’t have a piece of sh_t son or father that just takes off and don’t give a sh_t but it would be my guess that is probably you already.
You are probably one of the sorry as_ foreigners that come over here and get everything handed to them and like them never worked a day in this country, if all you sorry people would stay in your own damn country and stop wanting Americans to help you we would have plenty of money, people like you come over here and buy land and don’t have to pay taxes and half get the damn land for free, of course you want America to continue to help other countries because your not a true American and just like them sorry f_cks from 911 that came over here and learned to fly airplanes on our damn money then used it against us, but hey I guess in your opinion it’s better than helping the people that actually live here and have worked their ass off in this country. Yeah our government is f_cked up and the reason being is helping all these other sorry f_cking countries that are no where around when we need help, then you have these sorry ass people that live in this country and see a commercial of animals and would rather help a damn animal than humans, or feel more sorry for a animal than a child,which i’m sure that is you , you are either really young or just real stupid, lets just hope you don’t spawn any offspring’s over here. YOU all people make me sick wanting to help everyone else than your own damn people in this country, people that have lived and worked here their whole life and then get treated like shit, same as our soldiers that have lost legs, arms over in that war and now our government wants to turn their backs like they do with all the other Americans that have worked and struggled for this country just so they can help damn foreigners, and all the countries and foreigners that they have spent money on and even things as stupid as watching bears throughout the year cost Americans millions and you all are complaining about this……what a bunch of losers.

Administrator
July 14, 2009 6:36 am

Unfortunately, “An American Reverend” won’t be allowed to visit us any longer. Banned for arguing? No way. He’s banned for overposting in one thread. The “godly” man went crazy last night with the number of comments posed. And he thread was being “hijacked.” And I don’t care to be preached by a Sunday school teacher.

Some of his comments may be deleted because unclog this thread.

I’m wondering though, does the Catholic Church or Knights of Columbus get a kickback on selling Safelink Wireless phones? I’ll have to check this out. A quick look shows lots of Catholic sites pushing Safelink Wireless cell phones.

July 14, 2009 6:56 am

And like the sucker I am, I fell for it, hook, line and sinker…

July 14, 2009 4:44 am

I can’t read this garbage any more. I am absolutly dumbfounded that anyone can believe what AAR is writing. You win. For someone ‘of the cloth’ you’ve all but convinced me that the cloth does nothing more than give you a pulpit to spew your venom. Enjoy your PhD. I’ll enjoy my MD and actually help people.

Britton
July 14, 2009 5:51 am

Good times ..Good times….

I’ll admit some of the comments posted here have me in stitches!!!

July 13, 2009 11:42 pm

I am closed for business.

July 13, 2009 11:41 pm

I thought not. Save your breath I wish not to hear from your unintelligent mouth.

July 13, 2009 11:40 pm

Well Town Cryer

July 13, 2009 11:38 pm

All this stupidity over junk cell phones with 60 minutes. If your jealous then quit your job and get one. I personally think that the elderly, veterans, the unemployed, people in need should have one. I don’t begrudge anyone. If your crying over welfare then dig up Roosevelt and chew him out.

July 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Do you think your small amount in income tax pays for this? Try again. figure out what is paid and how small a contributor you really are. And if it help your greedy little conscience just know in oyur mind the money goes for something you agree on? Say like paying your State Representative or Senator.

July 13, 2009 11:28 pm

Jobs left this country because people like you became greedy. Now because unemployment is so high we want to blame everyone but ourselves. You want to blame someone for this debt, blame Bush…THere were no weapons of mass destruction, he wanted a war and he wanted to do what his father couldn’t…win a second term and where did it get us? Further in debt, loss of lives, high gas prices, and now loss of jobs. Please Clinton was the first Republicans I believe we have had many great Republican Presidents but the Bushes were not it. It is amazing how you dont realize that the Bushes are on the the board of directors for the Bin Laden businesses? Why was their plane theonly one to fly out after 9/11? Boo Hoo people got a cell phone that cost about 75 cent s to make and the company gives them some free minutes in hipes to make a profit off of them…read the bottom line man… the company is the winner not the government or the people..you should be complaining about the company then I would say you have an arguement. I have been in business for over 27 years and know the ins and outs of business.

July 13, 2009 11:20 pm

Is that enough of my own words, moron.

July 13, 2009 11:19 pm

What are you an Administrator of Anarchy? Rebellion? Anti-Patriotism? Anti-Christianity? Anti-Humanity? Anti-American? What???? It baffles one to think you have a brain or a heart.

wpDiscuz