Freshman Republican to Democrats: Present a budget or I’ll shut this place down

by editor on June 29, 2011

Freshman Republican Ron Johnson, sent to Washington by the voters of Wisconsin, has issued a threat to Senate Democrats:

Do the job you were sent here to do and present a budget or I’ll use arcane Senate rules to shut the place down.

National Review reviews Johnson’s threat:

“America is going bankrupt, and the Senate refuses to pass a budget,” Johnson said. “Unfortunately, this has become business as usual in Washington.” If fact, it’s been almost 800 days since the Senate has done so under Democratic leadership.

As a freshman senator, Johnson said he was sent to Washington to reject “business as usual,” and that is exactly what he intends to do. “America is simply too precious to subject out financial future to Washington’s ‘business as usual,’” he said. “So unless we receive some assurance from the Democrat leadership that we will actually start addressing our budget out in the open, in the bright light of day — I will begin to object. I will begin to withhold my consent.”

“The Senate needs to pass a budget. It shouldn’t be that difficult.”

Johnson says  he’ll begin objecting to “unanimous consent” agreements that are used to keep the Senate from getting bogged down with countless housekeeping issues. As the name indicates, all members of the Senate routinely vote aye on unanimous consent items, so one nay vote can bring the place grinding to a halt.

We’re certain that many members of this august body would be in favor of such an action because it would allow them to schedule their cocktail parties earlier in the day.

Source: National Review

Please follow and like us:

43 Comments on "Freshman Republican to Democrats: Present a budget or I’ll shut this place down"

Notify of

hardwurkindaddy
June 29, 2011 3:13 pm

WOW…A Freshman with the guts to stand up and say if you don’t act, I’ll screw up your sure thing!

Plainsman
June 29, 2011 3:44 pm

Wow, is right! The contrast between someone like Mr. Johnson, and Harry Reid or Dick Durbin, or Charles Schumer is just stunning!

BadgerPackerFan
June 29, 2011 6:48 pm

This is Feingold’s replacement. Would never hear these words out of his mouth either.

I hope he stays strong. We need to find another one just like him here in WI to replace the retiring liberal Herb Kohl as well.

David Bishop
June 29, 2011 3:51 pm

BALLS……. BIG ONES!!!

Mainstream Media will figure out how to destroy his credibility within days. The calls have already gone out. The dirt has begun to be dug up. The left is going to tear this guy apart.

I am solemnly wishing for your survival, Mr. Johnson. It takes a true leader to stand in the line of fire for what you believe. I wish we had more Republicans like you… Democrats as well.

Sailingbum
June 30, 2011 3:32 am

Liked the part about more republicans having fortitude..
People like graham-mccain-snow are the reason I no longer associate with the republican party..
They are not principled like this gentleman and Senator Jim DeMint..

Kathleen Caso
July 1, 2011 2:14 pm

Sailingbum,
you are so right on. I live in Maine and we need a ton of support for our TEA candidate who is running against SnowE. She is beyond redemption. Pray for us and send money to Scott D’Amboise @ http://www.damboiseforsenate.com. Thank you all for your help in what ever way you can for riding us of a superRhino. That is until Collins is up for election then we are at it again.

jukin
June 29, 2011 3:56 pm

This is what the country needs. I sent this guy money and am I proud of it now. Of course I also sent O’Donnell money…and am still proud of that too.

This is why we should NEVER accept the lesser of two evils and go RINO. It only takes one honest man.

December 20, 2011 8:26 pm

Check my website, you’ll like me too! I’m running again in 2012 and the incumbent retired rather than face me holding a pile of documentation of his insider trading.

January 11, 2012 9:30 am

If I move out there real quick like, is there still time for me to register and vote for you?

Joe Redfield
June 29, 2011 4:03 pm

Something must have gotten into the water in Wisconsin recently – Ryan, Walker, Johnson; they need to start piping it to the rest of the country as an antidote to the Progressive Koolade Democratic office holders drink.

danybhoy
June 29, 2011 4:11 pm

I spend more then a bit of time & money in Wisconsin, & there are more then a few cheeseheads who resent the 2 big liberal/progressive epicenters in the state. You have the welfare class in Milwaukee, & the gov’t ruling class in Madison. Once you get away from those areas, Wisconsin ain’t as much of a “blue” state as people think it is.

BadgerPackerFan
June 29, 2011 6:52 pm

You are absolutely correct. While the teachers throughout the state are currently PO’d at Walker, they’ll realize in a short amount of time that the garbage they’ve been fed from the union all these years was just that, garbage. Then it will be only the elite progressive dems from the UW in Madison and welfare hangers in Milwaukee holding us back.

danybhoy
June 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Thanks & welcome to IHTM!

Progressive Hemrrhoid
June 29, 2011 4:24 pm

About time somebody threw down the gauntlet to those useless parasitic scum. Block everything, maybe then some sanity will return, and it will dawn on these morons that you can’t spend your way to prosperity.

PsychoDad
June 29, 2011 4:47 pm

Good for him,dam good for him! He just better watch who is fixing his lunches.

deepthinker
June 29, 2011 5:32 pm

Johnson and Paul have shown McConnell what being a leader is all about. Calling bull shit when it needs to be called, Mitch take notice and you might get to be Majority Leader of the Senate, continue on the path that you have taken and you just might get retired the next time around.

As for the MSM, they have dug long and hard to try and find something on Johnson, he was running against the liberal favorite Senator Feingold and he defeated him going away.

Admin
June 29, 2011 6:07 pm

This must be the only guy in DC with a pair. Run him for President.

wisdave
June 29, 2011 6:34 pm

For the first time in my life I’m proud to be a Wisconite. Ok, I lifted that idea from the first lady. Since WI shifted to the right last year this has become a nicer state to live in. Thanks Scott Walker, Ron Johnson, and others.

Babydoll102187
June 29, 2011 8:06 pm

Can you send some of that sanity eastward across the Lake?

danybhoy
June 30, 2011 3:29 pm

If you are in Michigan, it might be too late.

hisham
June 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Sen. Ron Johnson, I’m definitely sending money to your re-election campaign!

Gary
June 30, 2011 3:47 am

Isn’t it fantastic that a new senator will stand up for what he believes in and his constiuents sent him to Washington to do? Makes you wonder where the other spineless RINO’s have been doing.

danybhoy
July 1, 2011 5:24 pm

Spineless RINO want to go along to get along. They want be in the mix, even if they don’t have much power. They love being in the Beltway. These are the same people who said Reagan was too extreme, & they pushed for Dole, & McCain. Follow them at your own risk, people.

November 27, 2011 6:43 pm

You should see the spineless 20-something Ritchie Rich Republican machine go along-get along failing career politician I’m running against in the primary. The funniest thing is that he thinks he has all this support and the voters think he’s an arrogant jerk. In a 4 way race, Ritchie Rich. a failed mayor with a perjury record and the woman I dusted last time are the other candidates. I don’t trumpet the party line which is why I will win this tine around. We have to stand up for America or Obama’s Commie pals will finish off our great nation!

January 11, 2012 9:33 am

I sincerely hope that we are all calling you Ms. Congresswoman soon. You won’t forget us little people when you go to D.C., will you?

onemadwoman
June 30, 2011 4:15 am

I hope all of Wisconsin is proud of this man. He far more than deserves it. God Bless Him, I hope he get his way.

[…] For The rest of the story Pls go HERE […]

Randall Hill
June 30, 2011 5:30 am

Mr Johnson you sir are a man with since , we need more good men and women like you in Washington DC . Stick to your gun and don’t let Washington corrupt you like it has so many others.

Jesus
June 30, 2011 6:45 am

Are you kidding me? Is this guy talking to his Republican mates who refuse to deal with the revenue side despite the fact that taxes are lower on the top 5 % of the population than they’ve ever been since the 1950s? If we are asked to make sacrifices to pay for a recession we did not cause, why are the rich exempt? Providing super rich oil companies with tax breaks in the billions does not make any sense to me. But Republicans want to keep that unfair and unproductive tax break for big oil. Don’t be bamboozled! This guy’s not saying anything that will help the average Joe and Jill.

danybhoy
June 30, 2011 3:23 pm

It seems like the fact that lower tax rates = higher tax revenues is lost on leftists. Works everytime, it worked when Reagan did it, & when JFK did it. Yeah, that JFK… http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AAEp0J_hzU …that guy, would have been run out of the Demacrat party by now, if he did’nt flee them 1st. I also love how we give big oil companies tax subssides by NOT taking EVERY PENNY THEY MAKE, but those who make that arguement never understand there would be no talk of “green energy” jobs without tax breaks. Plus, I have never gone ANYWHERE, at ANY TIME, on “green energy. It does’nt keep me cool in the summer like right now(high 90’s & very humid), it does’nt keep me warm in the winter, it does’nt get me around in my car either. I love big oil, & if you care about modern society, you should too. Without oil, modern life does’nt exist, way too many things are connected to the oil industry, from fuel, to plastics, your tires, roads, not to mention all the synthetics & the products they go into. Like your clothes, or a hospital operating room. Only a fool would’nt understand this. BTW, if… Read more »

hologram5
June 30, 2011 7:13 am

We need about 500 more just like him in there. Things would be a lot better.

Rich Lund
June 30, 2011 7:54 am

A GREAT speech! Wonder on what planet the single NO vote person on this column resides!

June 30, 2011 11:17 am

As a former resident of WI, who was born there and now in TN, I saw the icreasing Left wing agenda in the state. I was so glad to see Ron Johnson beat Fiengold, and as someone else stated that the state need to find a good replacement for Herbie “I take up Space” Kohl. I hope that Scott Walker, keeps hholding his ground, against the DemoRats and unions. I and my wife as former teachers in the state, are very happy to see that the WEA get their wings trimmed and the people , and businesses in the state, as a former business owner there, get what is needed. I didn’t know alot about Ron Johnson, before the elections, but was very fimiliar with who Scott Walker was. If that is what it takes, shutting down the US senate, I hope that Ron Johnson, sticks to his ground and does it. That place as well as the house needs to be dumped up side down and id of all leberals and RINOS.

tracycolorado
June 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Were Not Going to Take It , Anymore

Guest

[…] Senate needs to pass a budget. It shouldn’t be that difficult.” Read more —»» This entry was posted in Budget Reform, Current Events, Cut, Cap & Balance!, Debt Ceiling, […]

Lee H
July 30, 2011 6:58 am

Hopefully, all those writing here and other like sites will remember what has been said and will get their neighbors out to vote in 2012. If everyone votes, we can override the busloads of “Voters” who needed assistance in the voting booth from the Dems. Tea Party: the Party of “We the People”, much like the Silent Majority of old, need to take our Government back. The professional politicians have made this mess. We do not need any Term Limits beyond those this Nations Founding Fathers gave us in the Constitution, House: every two years, Senate: 1/3 every two years, President: every 4 years. Time for Citizens to Govern for one Term, then return home to their real job. Power Corrupts, the longer exposed the more it occurs.

Lee H
July 30, 2011 7:14 am

For those poor souls in Chicago, you have your work cut out for you. The slogan in Chicago is” Once a Democrat, Always a Democrat” as in , even after your demise, your friends ensure your vote is still placed, at least once in every election. Though, in California, while it is done somewhat differently, it has the same effect: There were bus loads of citizens, from Assisted Living Facilities, that were at my voting site, being assisted in the Voting booths. If a physical disability, these people just need assistance to get in and out of the booth, if mentally incapable, why are they voting with assistance, who knows what they want to say with their vote?

ooddballz
January 11, 2012 12:54 am

He actually ran a business. That explains a lot.

wpDiscuz